Monday, March 17, 2008

It's not east being GREEN!

The party table


Now that I'm a part of the Boyle family, dinner on St. Patty's day always (and I stress always) consists of Corned Beef and Cabbage. It's supposed to be a traditional Irish dish, but the funny thing is that the Irish rarely eat it anymore. If you have never had it, the beef is a very salty red meat (even when cooked it's red) and it pulls apart a lot like shredded beef. The cabbage, potatoes and carrots are boiled and served as a side.




Bit O' Trivia - The last name that our family adorns today was not originally Boyle. Jeff's great, great (I think 2 "greats") grandfather came to America and changed their original name of O'Boyle to fit in with the Americans. So, my husband and my children are part Irish ("part" is stretching it, though).



But I'm not leaving me out, oh no, I'm Irish too. What, you say? Blonde hair and blue eyes should be on a Swiss family tree, not an Irish one, right? Right. My dad's family is from Switzerland, where I get the blonde hair. My mom's side is from Australia - good day, mate! But you see, what you don't know, is that some of my dad's family has been traced back (and not too far back, mind you) to the Isle of Mann (small island alongside Ireland) where most of its people are Irish. So you can see that it would confuse people if I tell them I'm Irish - so I usually don't. You are lucky today.
It's just not east being GREEN!




































0 comments: